- 1) зависит от контекста
1. Compelling - demanding or holding one's attention; tending to convince or convert by or as if by forcef ulness of evidence (Webster's Third New International Dictionary).
2. compelling voice — повелительный голос
compelling smile — неотразимая улыбка
compelling novel — сильный роман
compelling argument — убедительный аргумент2) серьезный, крупный
Absent compelling national themes, Campaign '98 will be a race-by-race slugfest (Business Week).
The English annotation is below. (English-Russian). 2003.
Смотреть что такое "compelling" в других словарях:
compelling — adj: that compels: tending to demand action or to convince a compelling need for disclosure a compelling argument Merriam Webster’s Dictionary of Law. Merriam Webster. 1996. compelling … Law dictionary
compelling — compelling, compulsive Both words involve a sense of strong urging and are derived from Latin compellere meaning ‘to drive on’. An activity or habit that is compulsive affects an individual in a way they cannot control (a near synonym is… … Modern English usage
compelling — [kəm pel′iŋ] adj. 1. that compels 2. irresistibly or keenly interesting, attractive, etc.; captivating [a compelling drama] compellingly adv … English World dictionary
compelling — c.1600, prp. adj. from COMPEL (Cf. compel). Meaning irresistible is from 1901 … Etymology dictionary
compelling — telling, convincing, cogent, sound, *valid … New Dictionary of Synonyms
compelling — ► ADJECTIVE ▪ powerfully evoking attention or admiration. DERIVATIVES compellingly adverb … English terms dictionary
compelling — com|pel|ling [kəmˈpelıŋ] adj 1.) compelling reason/argument/case etc an argument etc that makes you feel certain that something is true or that you must do something about it ▪ Lucy had no compelling reason to go into town. ▪ The court was… … Dictionary of contemporary English
compelling — [[t]kəmpe̱lɪŋ[/t]] 1) ADJ GRADED: usu ADJ n A compelling argument or reason is one that convinces you that something is true or that something should be done. Factual and forensic evidence makes a suicide verdict the most compelling answer to the … English dictionary
compelling — adj. 1 holding your attention VERBS ▪ be ▪ become ▪ find sth ADVERB ▪ very ▪ utterly … Collocations dictionary
compelling — adjective Date: 1606 that compels: as a. forceful < a compelling personality > b. demanding attention < for compelling reasons > c. convincing < no compelling evidence > • compellingly … New Collegiate Dictionary
compelling — /keuhm pel ing/, adj. 1. tending to compel; overpowering: compelling reasons. 2. having a powerful and irresistible effect; requiring acute admiration, attention, or respect: a man of compelling integrity; a compelling drama. [1490 1500; COMPEL + … Universalium
- Yours, Mine, and Ours. Creating a Compelling Donor Experience, Barry McLeish J.. PRAISE FOR Yours, Mine&Ours: Creating a Compelling Donor Experience«Using the principles penned in this book, Barry McLeish has helped our nonprofit grow its customer base 400% with plans to… Подробнее Купить за 3117.99 руб электронная книга
- Compelling Returns. A Practical Guide to Socially Responsible Investing, Scott Budde J.. Achieve competitive financial returns and make a difference at the same time by applying the information in Compelling Returns: A Practical Guide to Socially Responsible Investing, a… Подробнее Купить за 2337.52 руб электронная книга
- Can't Not Do. The Compelling Social Drive that Changes Our World, Paul Shoemaker. With so many social challenges facing our world, trying to effect change feels daunting. The problems are complex, the politics murky, and the players innumerable. Yet, every day there are… Подробнее Купить за 1691.03 руб электронная книга